Aelves are one of the intelligent races who live among the Mortal Realms. They are tall, slender humanoids known for their potent, inherent magical abilities and extremely long lives. Most Aelves call the Realms of Hysh and Ulgu home.
During the destruction of the World That Was, Slaanesh gorged itself nearly unto sedation on the souls of the people called the Elves, the forerunners of Aelvenkind. When the gods found the Mortal Realms during the Age of Myth, only a few free Aelves could be found, most of whom settled the Realm of Azyr.
Towards the end of the Age of Myth, the Aelven gods found Slaanesh and hatched a plan to free the Aelven souls from the Dark God's essence. Teclis, Tyrion, Malerion and Morathi worked together to drag Slaanesh into Uhl-Gysh and began extracting the souls from its stomach. These souls were divided between the four gods, which they shaped to their wills, creating new variations of the Aelven people. 
Following the Age of Chaos, the civilisations of the Aelves split apart and diverged. The Highborn either retreated to Azyrheim or defended their own enclaves, while the Wanderers and Exiles travelled throughout the Mortal Realms. 
When the Aelven souls were freed from the essence of Slaanesh, they were tainted by the experience of being part of the substance of the Chaos God and became something other than Aelves. The souls free by Morathi were made by her into the Scathborn, such as the Melusai and Khinerai.
Any Aelven souls that were too weak or corrupted became the leathanam, a class of worker slaves.  Teclis created the Cythai, but when they rejected his teachings they became the Idoneth Deepkin. 
Many gods provide patronage to the Aelves; some were gods of the World That Was, while others only became gods after its destruction.
Old Aelven Pantheon
- Khaine: Though Khaine was killed by the Chaos Gods, Morathi tricked the Daughters of Khaine, claiming that he was merely weakened and that they will be able to reconstruct him through worship and devotion . Morathi now held Khaine's iron heart, the only vestige of him in the Mortal Realms, yet the prayers and offerings of the Daughters power her instead.
- Mathlann: Mathlann saved the last of the Aelven souls from the World before Time, but to no avail. He died alongside the last of Aelvenkind. The Idoneth Deepkin can channel the souls of their deceased people alongside old memories of him to summon the Eidolon of Mathlann. 
New Aelven Pantheon
- Alarielle: Though originally an Aelf, Alarielle instead spends her time with the Sylvaneth.
- Tyrion and Teclis
- 1: Battletome: Daughters of Khaine (2nd Edition)
- 2: Battletome: Idoneth Deepkin (2nd Edition)
- 3: Order Battletome: Sylvaneth (2nd Edition)
- 4: Games Workshop - Warscrolls Compendium: High Elves (PDF)
- 5: Games Workshop - Warscrolls Compendium: Wood Elves (PDF)
- 6: Games Workshop - Warscrolls Compendium: Dark Elves (PDF)